Sunday, May 1, 2011

"I'll have to learn all the new channels, I don't want to leave"

I find myself fighting the urge to write another blog that reflects upon the glory days of undergrad at Ann Arbor.  Between watching Steve Carrell's last episode on The Office, reading Mike O's blog (and his Galfing rough draft), and reading Sweeney's blog I find myself in another state of nostalgia.  If you want to hear more about the Michigan years passed, just feel free to call me and we can catch up, but for the sake of my (8) followers, I will refrain from writing more about the last 5 years (for now).

This weekend I switched things up a little.  Friday night, I still did the usual Muldoon's thing.  Drabik and I ate there for dinner and I didn't actually leave until last call.  Old and new high school friends came and went and at the end of the night, I found myself sticking around basically for this one girl.  Admittedly, she is/was another Taylor girl, just like Nicole.  However, I think she only went there for one year and then left.  I've known this girl for awhile, and despite appearances, I was not hanging around Muldoon's to see if I could take her home.  I was actually there to see if she was going to go home with this other guy who she had developed a keen eye for. From my perspective, this is what happened.  Firstly, her name is DT, or at least that's her nickname.  So DT and I were casually talking and actually, I had a fair share of her attention until this guy, we'll call him blue shirt, walks in.  Her attention shifted completely to him, in fact, her friends left without her, per her request.  Now, this isn't my first rodeo, I've seen this happen plenty of times before, I've performed this plenty of times before. ("Oh Whitney! You brought cupcakes! Thanks, I'm going to go over to Lizzie's now, but have fun with my housemates!").  Being on the other side of the situation is definitely different.  I felt like I could have done something about it, but I figured blue shirt had invested more into it (it was just that night I decided to pursue DT).  Anyways, after her friends had left, it looked like DT and blue shirt were headed for the exits.  Until some more of her guy friends came in and she began chatting with them.  Soon enough she had abandoned blue shirt and went out the back door with these other guys.  I had to feel a little bad for blue shirt as he took a seat at the recently abandoned table that DT found these guys at.  As expected, he whipped out his phone and was feverishly texting with someone.  I'll speculate that it was her.  At this point, I thought to myself that if I was blue shirt, I would have left, feeling defeated because sometimes I don't want to swallow my pride.  He just kept on truckin' though, probably sending those texts where he wants to act like he doesn't care, but in texting her he has already given her the "hand" (See Seinfeld).  To clarify, I was not sitting in a corner alone watching this develop, I was with my buddy Paul and his friend at the bar.  When last call rolled around I decided to exit out the back door in which DT had exited through about an hour ago.  Coincidentally, she was coming in through the door as I left and all I could say was, "Hey, your boy is waiting for you in there".  To which she replied, "I know, I'm on the phone with him right now".  I guess that's the extent of that story.  There's no real moral to the story, just another example of how boys and girls play these games...

Another notable event from that night, I talked to another stranger again.  I made three trips to the little boys room that night and in the last two trips, probably within an hour of each other, I saw this cute Asian girl.  "Cute" Asian girls are far and few between so I felt compelled to say something, especially because we had made eye contact both times on my trip.  So I went over there and talked to her and her 2 friends.  They were grad students at Wheaton College and were just out enjoying a couple drinks.  I probably sounded like a bumbling fool, I think I said "Congraduations" to them 3 or 4 times even after they told me they had only just finished their first year of grad school.  Oh well, she was 100% Asian anyways, that mountains already been conquered.  And so the quest for the 50%-er continues, who knows, she may be "the one", haha.

The rest of the weekend was uneventful.  Really good weather though, I went on two bike rides and a run.  I finally made it to a high school track meet.  I got to see Collin coaching passionately there, yelling splits to the Wheaton North guys.  He found some time to come by and thank me for stopping by.  I really can see myself being the old guy that goes to these meets and congratulates kids that don't even know him.  Stev is plenty familiar with this and it cracks me up.

I actually steered clear of Muldoon's last night and just got some coffee with Drabik.  I played a lot of Tiger Woods and got caught up with a lot of the NFL draft's transactions.

Sweeney is coming back to Illinois this weekend (congraduations David!) and I hope that we can hang out a lot before he goes to Costa Rica with the family.  If I was still unemployed I would probably be making a spontaneous trip to AA right now to force him to hang out with me in Wheaton until Friday.  As it is, I will be happy with hanging out on Tuesday or Wednesday night (or both, *blush*)...

Barn-es just texted me that The Foreign Exchange will be in Chicago on Thursday night, so I think I may try to get out there and see them.  The show starts at 9, that means the 12:40 train will have to do, Friday could be a long day at work.

Again, courtesy of David...

Here's to the new bloggers!

Chin

3 comments:

  1. Two nights in a row? Another beer Doris?!
    Hooray for cute asians and high school track

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeny...it is addictive!!! Hell I'm going to have to force myself to get into situations just2 blog about em once I get caught up on all this back stories. But Chin the "games" we play is very true, kinda sad in fact. You can't just say "I like you" and get on with it, you gotta play the game or your out. But I did like the role reversal, Whitney bit, that made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. High School Track Meets, Muldoons, DT...solid weekend if you ask me. I am digging your observation skills, you're learning how to blend into your environment while still accurately following someone else's events. Well Played.

    ReplyDelete