Saturday, February 19, 2011

Without Bias

Dre and I checked out a new bar in downtown Wheaton last night.  It's across the train tracks, so it's farther away from the other bars.  Its a different kind of place, they play the music really loud and it seems like the kind of place people would dance at, but theres no dance floor really so I don't know what they're going for.  After one drink there we left for Muldoon's.

Tonight we hung out with a couple of old HS friends.  To me, they were more just classmates in high school, but Drabik grew up with.  We went out to dinner, a bunch of places were packed so we ended up going to b dubs.  Shay, from last summer, was working there so we got to talk for awhile.  After, Mike and I came back to my place and watched another 30 for 30.  This one was called "Without Bias", Stev, there's a chance you might know what this one was going to be about.

As for the notes left on my phone.

"The end of the world would be fun, aside from the actual ending"

I think it wouldn't be the end of the world scenario, more just a situation where you had to evacuate a city at all costs.  I think about the movie "I am Legend" for the set-up I guess.  Imagine just driving to get out of your town, only to find yourself stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, moving nowhere.  At that point, you would get out of your car and just start running.  That's where I think it would be fun.  Think about running through traffic, leaving all possessions behind, no matter how valuable.  You just have to run, dodging other people opening their car doors to do the same.  On what is usually a 70 mph highway, everything would be just so out of place like "Why am I running on this highway, what are all these cars, where am I running to?  I guess the chaos and everything would just be overwhelming, I think I would be in this surreal state, immune to feeling, emotional or physical.  The only concern would be "Run".

I found myself writing that in my phone when I was stuck in traffic going to my mom's last night.  I thought that it would be so much faster to get out of my car and walk/run there.  Rarely would we find ourselves in a situation where it would be appropriate to leave our cars behind.  In fact, the only situation I think I would leave my car is if I was running from something life threatening, even then I think I would find it hard to get out.  Look at all the people who get run over by trains or drown, all because they refused to give up their cars.  Just a though, albeit a morbid one, but the thrill of leaving your possessions would be so nuts.

"Without Bias"

The 30 for 30 we watched tonight was about the death of Len Bias.  This parts for Cassie:

Len Bias was a really good basketball player at U of Maryland in the mid 80's.  He got drafted in '86 by the Celtics.  Within a week after he was drafted he was back at the Maryland campus getting ready to party with some buddies.  Long story short, they did some coke which led to Len having seizures, going into cardiac arrest, and ultimately dieing.  Messed up.  One of the people they interviewed put it perfectly, he said something along the lines of "Len was the perfect example of how high we can fly and how quickly we can fall".  I mean, he just got drafted, that's like walking into 1502 after your last day of exams senior year.  Then he just died.

As I write this blog, I'm wondering why its so depressing sounding.  I don't think its some metaphor for why I want to move out of my house and all, I think it's just coincidence that both these thoughts were about the end of the world and death.

On a separate note, Nicole was in town this weekend.  We didn't hang out at all, she suggested getting Jamba tonight but I declined, deciding it best not to...not to hang out(?).  She's dating this Colorado boy, they seem very serious, she indicated they are planning on taking the next step after she graduates.  I keep thinking about this conversation we had at Shane's before.  It was that whole platonic talk, about how guys can never think of girls on a platonic level.  I have changed my opinion on thats though.  Anyways, Nicole said that she almost agreed, but she thinks that on rare occasions it can happen.  I now agree with that, but it was something else she said to me that stuck out.  she said that she believes that when a couple get married, that both individuals should be willing and should stop socializing with the opposite sex.  So I know that it may sound like I'm twisting this, but I know that she said that.  So basically, she thought that when she gets married, she should cut out or at least be willing to cut out friendships with all other guys besides her husband, citing that we should do anything for love.

I didn't mull it over that much until now, but I am realizing that to have accepted her invite to Jamba would have given her the impression that I was cool with being friends.  Once she gets married, there is no way, if she is true to her opinions, that we can ever be friends again.  No way.  Nicole and I are not that "rare" case of completely platonic.  I'm interested to see if she really gets engaged even if they've only been going out for a few months.  Them Taylor girls...

I have to mention that Dre and I have been playing a lot of basketball.  I've developed a decent shot.  I had a great stretch of time starting on Thursday night when Mike and I played at the Sports Center.  I played really well, even made a game winning 3.  Then, on Friday I got all greens on the way to work.  At work, I talked with my boss about my performance this first month.  She said that she thinks the things I have done are great and that this report I wrote was very well composed.  It was a good stretch of about 24 hours.  Actually, this whole weekend has been pretty good.  I hope the good fortune just keeps rolling.  Ideally, I would win some sort of sweepstakes that gets me 2 tickets to NYC next weekend but that probably won't happen.  I'll take no world endings or deaths, I'll consider that good enough.



Here's to Livin' on a Prayer (just texted to me by Stev),

Chin

2 comments:

  1. As for the Nicole thought, I think that she's right when she says married couples almost never have friends of the opposite sex. What I've noticed is that couples in general tend to befriend other couples, like lily and marshall, but its really hard to just be friends with a single member. We can all like to believe that no matter what we can have casual and pleasant conversations with members of the opposite sex when we're in a relationship but honestly its not the same. The rare cases I can think of is when the friend is a really good lifelong type of friend, like Cassie would be to all of us. No matter what or who we're with, I'm pretty sure we'll stay friends with Cass because yeah she's just more than any relationship could be worth. Besides anyone that LOVES us should understand the need for a best friend like Cassie in our lives. But as for the whole "Do anything for Love" I know it to be true, seen so many friendships broken up over "Love." So sad really.....

    On a side and depressing note, my family spent an hour after dinner last night talking about deaths and life and stuff, odd you would have an end of the world thought as well.

    Guess it's like Dhani Jones said, Time is Finite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading this blog and Stev's comment at the beginning thinking wow guys, am I just not going to be your friend when you get married?! Glad you clarified that I am the rare case and I can still be your friend even though you will get married someday.

    I also totally believe in totally platonic relationships. I mean why can't two people who happen to be of the opposite sex not just be really good friends? Maybe I am just a wierd case but I think that other people are capable of it too...and the fact that Nicole thinks that all relationships with the opposite sex have to end once you get married is just immature. If you can't be friends with someone of the opposite sex while also being married, well that is just silly...

    I hope your luck keeps rolling and you win tickets to New York City this weekend too!!!

    ReplyDelete