Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Good Samaritan

I had two opportunities today to do something exceptionally helpful.  There were some pretty severe thunderstorms today and I saw some people with a car that had broken down.  I think I should have pulled into a parking lot close by and helped but it was a crowded intersection and I decided to just make it home safely myself.  Also, I went over to my buddy, Moran's house tonight and on the way back I saw a dog wandering around.  It was about 1 in the morning so I continued driving.  The dog had a tag and everything, so I felt bad afterwards.

I would like to think that I am the kind of person that would stop for situations like this, but apparently, I'm not.  So my goal/theme now is to stop and help people/animals like that.  I want to just do away with the whole theory that the more people that are around, the less inclined we are to help.

Like I said, there was some crazy weather today, tornado watches and stuff but that did not deter me from driving to Target after working out to pick out some DVDs and the new Kanye album.  At Target, I saw one of my classmates from high school.  From what I remember, he was a pretty smart guy and he was working at Target.  Now, I wasn't happy to see him working there, but I took comfort in the fact that he was also having trouble finding good work.  I'm really starting to see that it's just not me.  However, that does not change my mentality towards engineering.  I still think starting up a business with Drabik would be awesome, but I don't think I should commit to a plan that is still very iffy.  I suppose we'll see, I do think I will have a lot more job opportunities at the beginning of the new calendar year.  Talking with Anderson tonight, I told him I think the only engineering I could see myself doing at this point/being capable of doing at this point is engineering sales.  I feel that I know a lot, but not a lot about one particular subject.  I also think that, socially, I am very capable of driving good sales and working well with clients.  If I did get a job that was strictly engineering, I think I could learn/remember enough about what I was doing, but the problem with that is that I suck at technical interviews so I don't think I will ever get the opportunity.




Here's to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,

Chin

2 comments:

  1. Two things....1.) You are being a good Samaritan to the artists by actually purchasing their albums...Hooray for that, not sure I'm ready to make that step...yet...well until I get a job ha.

    2.) I think that it's always hard to get our foot into that helping people out door. I recently learned that my mom pretty much helped a guy off the street who was on a path or drugs, baby mamas and violence, and now this kid has a full ride to play football for a D3 school in Iowa...Moral of the story, both what you said and seeing what my mom did, especially with her full plate with all of us kids, definitely inspires me to look outside my small little box and problems like not having my career job already. No matter our situation, we always seem blessed enough to have the ability to help others out who are less fortunate so why not, in their time of need, be the kind of people to reach out. I think this is a great general theme for us to try and live by and it can start with one simple action....Maybe next time A car is pulled off on the highway with a flat or something, we should at least stop and ask if they need help....That is a Beautiful Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your dark beautiful fantasy being with me on a beach?...

    ReplyDelete