Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Even a 3 legged dog still has 3 good legs to lose "

Today was roughhh...

I woke up at 6:30 this morning to prep myself for my 9:00 interview downtown.  Admittedly, I had very high hope because I talked to Mr. Terrazas about the position last week and he said that I could basically go into the interview and as long as I didn't drool on myself, I was good.  In fact, that was not quite how I felt during the interview.  I was greeted at the place by Andy and Sayeed.  Andy, who would be my boss for the internship, worked at the company but was also an engineering prof.  The internship was to be a quality assessment person for this "market making" company.  It was supposed to have little to do with engineering, but Andy started the interview asking me all about engineering.  I was definitely caught off guard and, needless to say, I would have probably been better off drooling...Towards the end of the interview, Andy confided that most people just plain don't like him, due mostly to the fact that if any under his supervision messes up, he gets fired.  He also pronounced me "uneducated", claimed I wouldn't even be considered for the internship had Mr. T not forced him to give me a chance,  and indicated that he thought I partied too much in college (this after meeting me 20 minutes ago).  I tried to explain to him that I was in Mexico for 2 months and I had not brushed up too much on my engineering.  That part is my fault, but the way I figure it, if a company can't understand that I just need to get enveloped in an engineering position (should I choose to be an engineer, which is questionable at this point...) then the company and I probably aren't a good fit for one another.  In all, I think Andy was just trying to scare me away from considering the internship, thinking I was underqualified.  Goood riddance, I hardly see myself taking this job...the guy made me feel like trash...

Walking back to the train station, I started to think "I can't answer even some of the most basic engineering questions...should I even be an engineer?"  I texted my buddy Drabik to discuss taking over Shane's together, I just really wanted no part of engineering at this point.  Obviously, the feelings were stronger then, than they are now and I will continue to look for available engineering positions.  Tomorrow I am calling into a patent lawyer firm to inquire about an opening there.  My buddy, Chuck, has done similar work and I feel that it could be something that would interest me.

I worked at Shane's this afternoon and had a great time with my coworkers.  Working there definitely improved my day and helped me forget that I'm "uneducated" (quotes because I really don't agree with that guy).  Stev came by as we finished closing up and we head to Tasting De Vine for a wine tasting.  Having not eaten anything, I was feeling it after about the 3rd of 8 glasses (they gave us 2 servings of one of the whites).  Stev and I had some good conversation and exchanged stories with Amanda, a girl who has been local to Wheaton with me since the 1st grade. We then had some beers at the neighboring restaurant/bar and rode our bikes back to my house.

I admit, I do feel that my life lacks direction at this point...but I still know that I want to excel somewhere.  I think that the combination of my general failure to get a job and running low on cash has given me this mentality.  So the goal is to find a job and get cash.  I love working at Shane's, but that's not a full time thing and it definitely is not enough money to support myself.

Tomorrow, Stev and I have the first of two nights of Dave Matthews Band shows at Wrigley Field.  It's going to be a great day, especially in contrast to today's.

Here's to Fridays,



Chin

1 comment:

  1. Loving the Fridays pick Chin...I feel you on the lacking direction thing too. Ugh...being a grown-up is over-rated.

    ReplyDelete