Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"How do you shoot the Devil in the back?...What if you miss?"

Nothing of note happened today, I had another great day working at Shane's...man, if I could pull a decent salary working there, I would have no problem with that...Tonight Stev and I watched one of my favorite movies, The Usual Suspects.  This movie got me thinking, why do we lie?

There's so many different types of lying, some hurtful and some playful.  By playful I mean things like putting salt in Cassie's sugar container.  Yes, she was mad, but Stev and I were able to enjoy a good laugh the other day.  Cassie, I know the memories have to make you laugh at least a little.  Then laugh a little more when you remember that Wheeler, who was in on the joke, drank his salted tea because he was too involved in WoW.  So yeah, thats the playful kind of lie.

Then theres the hurtful lie, the ones that we hold deep inside, maybe tell a few people it's a lie, but generally remain silent on the matter.  Sometimes these are lies by omission, verbal lies to save you own image.  Sometimes we lie casually, even though it could hurt someone else.  These are the lies that I don't understand why I make...

My theme this Summer was to be completely honest with people.  I tried this with a lot of people and I really have enjoyed the results I've seen.  I was honest with all my peers in Mexico, partially because of the whole "I'll not see most of you ever again" mentality, but also because I wanted to use my new theme.  It felt good to not have any secrets that people could hold against me, and most of the time...the truth wasn't even that bad.  Example, in the past, playing volleyball at Elbel field...I would ask tons of people, and most people would respond with enthusiastic agreement.  Then, when it came to game time, it was hard to scrap together even 3 v 3.  It's just like, be honest with me when I ask in the first place, say "You know what, I probably can't make it because...a)I'm too tired, b) I've got a lot of work to do, c) I don't actually enjoy volleyball, d) I don't actually enjoy you."  I wouldn't have problems with any of those responses, however, if d were true, there'd probably be some follow-up dialog.  But why do we fabricate these lies in the first place?  It just results in frustration anyway.  Granted, at the time, the person may be thinking that they really would like to play volleyball...but I think they need to really think more before they sound so committed to things...Example, I invited Uzi out to play some but he straight up told me that he probably couldn't make it because he was helping his bro move in.  In that case, no harm done, I knew not to expect him.  Then there was the entire Z15 house, save for Sweeney, who seemed so excited to play, then I don't think any showed up.  I mean, they were very busy with moving in to their house, Sweeney was the front desk manager for hotel arch...but just tell me that you'll be too busy.  I find myself in situations similar to this nowadays and I have just learned to give or take credibility from people.  Also, I have tried to only commit to things that I legitimately want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love lying, but in the playful sense..."The suits? Oh, it's our buddies bachelor party", "Ve're zee Schnei Schnei twinz, vee verk vith Chumbawumba"...I hate lying in the manipulative, insincere, and shallow sense, I am guilty of this type too, but I feel that I have curtailed this a lot in the recent years and it has changed my view on life.

Pictures are random today...random in the sense they were taken ages ago...

"The inevitable outcome"
"The improbable outcome"

Chin

2 comments:

  1. Chin I totally forgot about the salt thing haha. That was a funny lie. I'm liking the honesty theme though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for calling me out on being boring...

    ReplyDelete