Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gung Hay Fat Choi!

That...does not mean hello or how are you in Chinese, it means "Happy New Year!".  However, it sounds like a general greeting.

I went to Chinatown today with Marie, quite the experience.  First, I struggled to get out the door, Chuck had Skyped me from Spain and I really wanted to speak to him.  So I rushed out the door to head to the city to pick Marie up and then head to Chinatown.  In my rush, I just through my shoes on and bolted out the door.  When I got about 10 minutes from her apartment, I noticed my right shoes was really loose.  I looked down and saw that I had 2 different shoes on...Really? So stupid...Anyways, Finally I got to her area and found the Starbucks she mentioned she lived by.  I parked my car, and went to the Starbucks.  I tried to call and text Marie a couple times but the calls weren't going through.  At the Starbucks, there was a girl, I walked up, "Marie?"...didn't hear me..."Excuse me, are you Marie?"...she looks up, "No"...so I guessed wrong.  I sat down at Starbucks and sa a girl sitting under a tree across the street.  I walked across after a few minutes of thinking if that wasn't her either.  It was her, she's really nice and pretty cute.  First thing I explained to her was the 2 different shoes, she laughed, probably still thinks I'm an idiot.

On the car ride to Chinatown we talked about her experience so far in Chicago with the French Alliance, small talk.  She's pretty good at english and seems to understand almost everything I say.  We got to Chinatown and walked around the shops, restaurants and parks.  Eventually we got some food where Marie ordered one of those crazy fruit tapioca drinks.  It had some weird black stuff in it that was like jell-o.  We talked some more, walked around some more then headed back to the car.  On our drive back to her area, we talked a lot about drinking games.  We decided that we would have to play some of the games sometime.





The drop-off was noteworthy, I suppose.  I pulled over to an open spot on the curb and said how I had a good time, how we had to hang out again soon.  There was some odd silence, then she got out.  I think that maybe I should have hugged her, opened her door, regardless, I feel like I did something wrong.  We'll see, we might do something next weekend for Halloween, Drabik and Nicole will be in town as well.

You know a commercial I hate, the bank one where the kid goes to study abroad in Paris because "he didn't know his fer a jaca from his vu le vu".  I hate the part where he's low on funds and as soon as he's wired money from his parents he spends it on some bon bons.  Reckless spending like that is probably what got him into trouble in the first place.  Then he probably blows all of that money on that girl he meets. jeeze...

PS...the kid looks like Wheeler

Here's to Adidas' shoes looking similar,

Chin

1 comment:

  1. Kinda sad there's no picture of Marie on this post...other than that, Bravo.

    ReplyDelete