Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Let's knock out those reps"

I almost fell for my first legit scam today.  So, I was at work at shanes when I received a call from an Atlanta, Georgia area code.  The guy, Robert, seemed to know his stuff about me, said he got my resume off of careerbuilder and was looking for electrical engineers.  He asked if I had a minute and I did, then he asked me to  grab my laptop and pull up my resume and we could look at it together.  I was at work so I said I didn't have my laptop.
Him: "Alright, well I will be available at 10 AM tomorrow, will you be available?
Me: "10? Okay, that works."
...we talk a little longer about how I can contact him...
Him: "Thanks Kyle, I will speak to you tomorrow at 9."
Me (Trying to be flexible): "Um, 9? Okay, sounds good."
Him: "That's 9 eastern time"
Me: "Sounds good, thanks Robert."

At this point I thinking, man, I have to wake up at 8 to talk to this guy? Fine, whatever.  So throughout the conversation, the guy was kind of mumbling, mumbling to the point that I couldn't identify his last name correctly, I wrote "Dovell" it was actually "Topal" and I couldn't ID his company correctly, I heard "OnStar" it was actually "Beyond-Star".  Sure they sound the same, but you shouldn't mumble the company's name...I tried to find out more on-line and eventually got information using the phone number he called from and the one he told me to call.  From there, I found his correct name, correct company name and their website.  His website turned out to be sketchy as hell, talking about Martians attacking an stuff, this hypnotic-like music playing, sooo weird...So I googled "beyond star scam" and found all these complaints, apparently, I should expect several calls from this man for awhile now.  I'm sure you could find the website, but I don't want to link it because I'm kind of paranoid , haha.  Needless to say, I'm sleeping in tomorrow.

Anyways, work went well.  When I got home Fabian and I rented Hot Tub Time Machine and got some Bud Light Golden Wheat, which I was skeptical of because it seems out of season, but they were out of Octoberfest, sooooo...Good movie though, for as incongruent the plot is, I suppose.  It helped to have a few beers, too.

Thought, maybe I should pick up my phone tomorrow when he calls, maybe play the fool a bit, say some stupid stuff and see how long he deals with me until he realizes I'm not taking him seriously.  I think I'll do that.  Or is that a bad idea?

Thank you Sweeney for documenting Joe descending the tree in the back of Hotel Z15...





Here's to Google (Maybe I should apply there),

Chin

2 comments:

  1. If you want to wake up early and play the scam game do it...otherwise enjoy your sleep ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. woooow. I saw the aftermath of Joe's tree excursion but not the actual video. Ridiculous

    ReplyDelete