Sunday, October 31, 2010

When and Where

Drabik came home this weekend and we ran yesterday and today.  In between deep breaths yesterday, Mike mentioned that it seems that time and location are becoming huge factors for our relationships with others.

On Friday night, I took the 6 PM train downtown to meet up with Marie for sushi.  Although we were supposed to meet at 7:30, she got a little lost and she didn't arrive until around 8:10.  I reluctantly had a Sapporo Light at the bar by myself while I waited.  When she arrived we got our table and ordered 4 plates of sushi.  We talked about various things like how she's not used to the cold weather and what her plans for Halloween were.  Afterwards, we didn't really have anything to do, we couldn't go to the bars because of her being 20 and she didn't want to walk around because she insisted it was too cold...We found a movie theater nearby and saw "It's Kind of a Funny Story".  It was funny, but travelling downtown to go to an $11 movie wasn't what I would have thought we would end up doing.  I paid for everything that night, that's ok though, chivalry is not dead.  I had to catch the 12:40 back, so when the movie ended at 12, I walked her to the blue line station and walked to Ogilvie.  She texted me that she got home safely and thanked me for a good night.  Overall, she's a fun girl but it's going to be difficult to hang out if she doesn't like the cold.

Yesterday, I went to Shane's to get lunch with Nicole, she was in town for a musical that her cousin was in.  We talked about things like school, how being 21 is and other things.  I asked her about her status with guys, her situation is typical of a down to earth senior girl in college.  She doesn't have much interest in any guys because she knows that she's graduating soon.  She asked me about my business and I told her about Marie, and mentioned that I felt similarly because Marie leaves in January.  I am not sure if she knows that I still have feelings for her, but I don't want to stir things up right now.  I forgot to mention that the guy she was going on dates with while I was in Mexico is still distraught over how they didn't work out and he still sends her desperate texts from time to time.  I could have been that guy, I'm certainly glad I'm not.

Last night Fabian and I drove to one of his buddies apartments in Naperville dressed as Mayhem.  Fabian's buddy, Jeff, was dressed as Anna Nicole Smith, hilarious...



Jeff is kind of like Wheeler only he capitalizes on his wit, if you know what I mean.  After the pregame, we headed downtown and went to a bunch of bars.  We danced, drank and danced more.  At one point Jeff started doing push ups on the dance floor and everyone loved it.  At around 2, Fabian, Jeff, their friend Ashley and I hopped in a cab.  I was downhill from there.  Ashley was drunk and really annoying, we were trying to get to her house and we ended up driving way more than we needed to.  After we got to her house, she didn't drop any money to help pay for the cab.  By the time we got back to Fabian's buddy's apartment, it was about 2:30 and our fare had totaled $33.  We had sobered up too so Fabian and I just drove back to Wheaton.

Today, Nicole and I met up at Shane's again, however, she just got a sandwich for the road because she had to head back to Taylor.  After Drabik finished working at Shane's we went for a good 5 mile run.  He enjoys running because of the feeling he gets afterwards with the endorphins and all.

While running with him he mentioned the whole timing and location are everything.  It got me thinking about how in high school and some of college the friends we had and girls we liked were controlled heavily by how our personalities matched up or how cute they were (in the girls case).  Now it seems that even though personalities can match great, there are unfortunately 2 larger factors: time and location.  Even more unfortunate, these 2 factors rarely work in the relationships favor.  Example, all of 1502 are graduated, timing is great, but location, we're all over the place.  Imagine how different our relationships would be if we all found jobs or things to do in the same area.  Example, Marie and I get along great, we live close to each other, but the timing is all messed up because she leaves for France in January.  With Nicole, I feel like our personalities are a great match, but time and location are working against us.  I think what makes timing and location so frustrating is that they are out of our reasonable control and how the relationship ends up is dictated heavily by when or where we are with friends.  I think there is something to be said about how fate works in this situation.

Here's to fate,

Chin

2 comments:

  1. Fate...our best friend and worst enemy...Just gotta let things work out the way they will I guess. See you in a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh timing and location - definitely always the problem.
    :) allison

    ReplyDelete